相撲
Grand champion Asashoryu has announced he is quitting sumo in the wake of his latest scandal.
The 29-year-old Mongolian is alleged to have punched and broken the nose of a man after a drinking binge at a night club in the capital during the New Year tournament.
At a press conference at the Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, the yokozuna (real name Dolgorsurengiin Dagvadorj) tearfully announced: "I caused trouble to a lot of people and I feel hugely responsible as yokozuna. I was the only one who could finish this matter the right way."
He went on: "I think I was destined to end my career like this."
Asashoryu won his 25th Emperor's Cup last month in Tokyo, despite his involvement in the incident, and is third on the all-time list of tournament winners behind Taiho with 32 and Chiyonofuji with 31. He holds the record of seven consecutive tournament wins starting with the 2004 Kyushu Grand Tournament.
© JapanVisitor.com
Yahoo Japan Auction Service
Book a Japanese Hotel with Bookings
Japanese Friends
Rough Guide To Japan
Tags
Japan sumo Sumo Tokyo Japanese sumo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment